Thursday, March 01, 2018

Couple of notes on the range

pictures later, because I'm beat.

How beat?

If a mostly-naked Sandra Bullock walked in the door and whispered "Make me a women", I'd have trouble getting up much enthusiasm.  Or anything else.  I hate being sick.

Anyway, I had a chance to shoot something interesting today: a Eddystone 1917.  If you're not familiar, short history:
The Brits didn't have enough rifles at the start of WWI, and had a couple of companies in the US making P14s for them: five-shot, aperture rear sight, ear-protected front, in .303.  Then they got production up on #1Mk3 Enfields.  About that time, the US got into the war, and it was discovered that Springfield Armory didn't have enough tooling and gauges to make enough 1903 Springfields for US troops.  Someone had a bright idea, checked, and found that if you modified the bolt face to handle the rimless .30-06 cartridge, and bored & rifled the barrel for it, it worked quite well, and had better sights than the 1903.  It became the 1917.

Anyway, besides being an interesting piece of history, this thing- firing standard 150-grain ball, yet- is downright pleasant to shoot.  Much more so than I remember the 1903 bring.

Assuming I can, tomorrow I'll try to set up the pictures I took before the fever started and post them.

2 comments:

KM said...

If a mostly-naked Sandra Bullock walked in the door and whispered "Make me a women", I'd have trouble getting up much enthusiasm.

Then there's the joke...
A guys girfriend says, "Make me feel special."

He handed her a helmet and a box of crayons. ;)

crow said...

A friend has a 1917 that I shot several years ago. For an issue weapon, almost 100 years old, it was amazingly accurate. I could hit empty 20 lb. propane cylinders at 400 yards with boring regularity.