Thursday, October 19, 2017

We're supposed to trust ANY of these bastards?

Years later I ran into Mueller, and I told him of my disappointment in being the target of a sting where there was no reason to think that I would knowingly present perjured evidence to a court. Mueller, half-apologetically, told me that he never really thought that I would suborn perjury, but that he had a duty to pursue the lead given to him. (That “lead,” of course, was provided by a fellow that we lawyers, among ourselves, would indelicately refer to as a “scumbag.”)

This experience made me realize that Mueller was capable of believing, at least preliminarily, any tale of criminal wrongdoing and acting upon it, despite the palpable bad character and obviously questionable motivations of his informants and witnesses.
...
The day of the meeting, I walked into the DOJ conference room, where around the table sat a phalanx of FBI agents. My three colleagues joined me. Mueller walked into the room, went to the head of the table, and opened the meeting with this admonition, reconstructed from my vivid and chilling memory: “Gentlemen: Criticism of the Bureau is a non-starter.” (Another lawyer attendee of the meeting remembered Mueller’s words slightly differently: “Prosecutorial misconduct is a non-starter.” Either version makes clear Mueller’s intent – he did not want to hear evidence that either the prosecutors or the FBI agents on the case misbehaved and framed an innocent man.)
"Screw the facts, there will be NOTHING about the Sacred Bureau being involved in misconduct, no matter how much evidence there is."

2 comments:

mark leigh said...

Well shades of J Edgar and the holy Bureau. The culture there hasn't changed for the good.

pigpen51 said...

Funny. The longer we go in the Trump administration, and the wild goose chase of Mueller about the Russians, the more things start to stink. But the smell comes not from where the Democrats hoped and assumed if would come, but from where most thinking people KNEW it would come. Lifelong partisan bureaucrats with an anti-conservative agenda. I will play nice here, and not say what I am thinking, but there should be a wholesale house cleaning of any of the previous administrations lackeys, with many of them needing an investigation on themselves.