Thursday, May 18, 2006

To return for now to firearms,

a few days ago had a chance to go to the range for a little while, and tried the Trailside/red-dot combo in daylight.

This sight has 11 brightness settings. 11 gave a nice dot easily visible on a partly cloudy day. I'd wondered about that, because the sight on the borrowed .22 I wrote about was fairly dim turned all the way up.

I had some clay pigeons and one of my scope targets set up at 50 yards, and this made it easy to hit both if I did my part. The dot covered the 2" square on the paper completely, so just centered the dot on the paper. It covered the center 2-3" of the clays, making it easy to hit them. Seemed that with this gun/ammo/sight combo it's dead on at both 20 yards and 50.

I'm really liking this setup. I'm going to try to take my daughter out shooting this weekend, I'll see how she likes it.

Speaking of the Trailside, it came with their oversized pakkawood 'target' grips. Very nice, but the plastic on the basic version actually fit my hand better. I've done a bit of rasping and sanding on these, and they're much better now. More comfortable, and easier to hold on target.

Now to try a red-dot out on a rifle...

No comments: