Friday, April 07, 2006

More sharp shiny things

Three more shots tonight. First is a more modern-style dirk:














Same steel as the other(5160) and nickel-silver fittings, this one has a walnut grip. Blade's about an inch shorter and a little less wide. This is the one my daughter keeps eyeing covetously.

I love making damascus- more properly 'pattern welded'- blades, but I generally can't make big billets of it. So I make up for size with steel mixes to give bolder patterns. This is another sgian dhu, this blade is a mix of O1, 10-20 mild steel and W2, total of about 100 layers:














Here's a little closer look at the blade














Getting that filework done along the back can be a real pain.

And(again), since Og asked, a razor














A few years ago at my favorite salvage yard(before it closed) I picked up a bunch of what appears to be W2 stock, this is forged from a piece of it. Flat-ground like the early razors.

Thus concludes our show for tonight.

No comments: