Saturday, July 23, 2005

A way to try out new stuff, and one new rifle in particular

H&H range in Oklahoma City is having Dealer Days(or whatever they call it); lots of dealers displaying their wares. This setup has a nice addition; buy a ticket for $3- money going to the state shooting team- and if you find something you'd like to try out, give the dealer rep the ticket and you get the firearm and one load of ammo and a target. See the new Springfield or Taurus or whatever you'd like to try? Three bucks and you can!

They've done this before, this year there were enough vendors wanting in they're doing some this week and some next. What I specifically wanted to mention was something at the Kahr table; the M1 Carbine. Apparently they've got the rights to the design now, and are building it. First glance it looks like a standard M1 with a nicer stock and bluing, bayonet lug and all. Looked it over, very nice piece of wood, good fitting, nice balance, and in the original .30 carbine cartridge. And, instead of the turn-lever safety of the original, this one had a cross-bolt safety.

So I handed over my ticket and got the rifle and a magazine with ten rounds. I started at about 20 yards to check sighting, and it was dead on. I also found the other big difference from the original; instead of a two-stage trigger, it's got a single-stage that broke cleanly at about (I'm guessing) 3.5 pounds. After a couple of shots I ran the target out to 30 and finished the mag. Ten rounds with a rifle I'd never fired before all in a 2.5" bull, all offhand.

No, I didn't buy it. But dammit, I was tempted! I'm going to have to check around on this later when(hopefully) I've got some cash.

No comments: