Wednesday, October 13, 2004

A new species found?

I love stuff like this; in or nearby an area researchers have been tramping through for years, something possibly entirely new is found.

It always amazes me when people say, "If it was there, we'd have found it by now". May sound good, but not true.
And sometimes it has been found, but the scientists just don't know it. A couple of years ago my daughter was reading some new information about the ceolocanth, a fish though extinct for millions of years until they found out fishermen off eastern Africa occasionally caught them. I had recently been found that they were also caught, not that rarely, off the coast of India. One of her friends is from India; she saw the picture and said, "Those things taste terrible!" Seems they were often found in the fish markets, but the people studying the things thought they only existed in the one area off Africa.

The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge near Lawton has a big wilderness area that is restricted access. Hunters and the occasional campers had occasionally reported seeing mountain lions. "Horsecrap" was the official verdict, they were extinct in the area. Until one of the rangers, back in that area one day, saw one kill a deer.

I've a great-uncle who lives down in southeast OK, and he says he's seen wolves back in the woods. Everyone tells me nonsense, he's seeing coyotes. Knowing Ray, I think there are wolves there.

Giant octopus? Why not? There was a report I once read of one attacking an ship in the Indian Ocean(I believe; it's been a long time since I read it). There were witness reports from people on other ships, including British Navy officers, who would generally not put a BS story in their ship's log. I took the information to school and showed it to the biology teacher, who had me report it to the class. All were amazed until I said the date, 1890-something. It was as though if it didn't happen now, it could not be accurate or true.

I like the idea of undiscovered, or not officially discovered, critters roaming around. It adds to life.

Followup: I mentioned Peter Capstick before. Writing specifically on leopards, he had a number of stories about how a big cat can live in an area and nobody knows it. Among other cases, the pair that were living in the maintenance tunnels of a stadium, staying fat on rats, cats, dogs and such. Somebody just happened to catch sight of one of them one day; they'd apparently been living there for months.

No comments: