Thursday, July 13, 2006

A morning at the range

definately starts the day off right.

Although when I awoke to thunder and pouring rain, I thought it was off. But I called the range which is about 15-20 miles west of town and found it hadn't rained there at all, so I loaded up, picked up son and headed out.

First time we'd had a chance to shoot in quite a while, and he went through most of the ammo he had for the #4 Mk1 Enfield he got for his birthday last year, and then, never having fired it before, went through a bunch of .22's in the Enfield trainer. Good day.

I had to do two things. First, sight in the Savage Scout rifle. I'd replaced the bead front sight with a white-line XS post and needed to zero it, and since the mount screws had loosened I wanted to make sure the scope was putting them where it should. It is now.

Second, I mentioned a while back helping work on one of the India-made Enfield rifles in .308(described by Kim here). First time shot it, it was with some of the India produced .308 ball and results were, to keep it short, bloody awful. The bore on that rifle is spotless, sights not loose or anything, so I thought it might be the ammo, so today took it along with a couple of boxes of Portuguese ball, and the difference was bloody amazing. With the Indian ammo it shot 'groups' of about six inches at 50 yards; with the Portuguese it was getting about 3" at 100. MUCH better.

So be warned: the Indian .308 we used is bloody awful. Don't know if all of it is that bad, but I wouldn't buy any unless I got it cheap to pull the bullets or something.

No comments: