Monday, June 26, 2023

As I sit here recovering

from the heat or something, I will say that I think I found my 'try it at longer ranges when I can' loads with .45-70.

Using that 525-grain Steve Brooks bullet cast of 30-1 alloy, 60.0 grains of 1.5f Swiss powder in Starline cases, at 200 yards gave this
with that low-right I'm pretty sure I pulled.

All the same except with 62.0 grains of the same powder,
You bet I'm happy with both.  Both of them gave good groups before and this shows both are consistent, those previous groups weren't just chance or luck.

I will note that the same 62.0 grain load in Winchester cases was not good, but with 60.0 grains not bad at all.  And yes, I'll try that again.

One of the things I've learned is that Winchester brass indeed having thinner walls, the same dose of powder does not fill the case as much.  60.0 in Starline gives a slight amount of compression, in Winchester cases it appears none, the wad just being right on top of the column.  With 62.0 grains in Starline more compression(about 1/10" I think), just a tiny bit in Winchester.  Which makes me like Starline with that 60.0 load because with that bit more I know there's no air space; the Winchester having so little compression worries me.  Yes, I know that if it has any it would have to be a space that would need a micrometer to measure, but I want NONE.  And to be certain of it.

Hornady has ballistics tables you can use for free, and I ran these loads through it, using the ballistic coefficient from the Lyman manual for their 535-grain Postell bullet, the Brooks being virtually identical but ten grains lighter, and it gave me elevation settings out to 500 yards.  Beyond which I don't think I could see the target well enough to shoot.  I will be interesting finding out if these settings match up to what actual shooting shows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are using to fire off those mighty .45-70 rounds? I recently inherited a small trove of Marlin and Henry lever actions chambered in .45-70 as well as a Magnum Research in same. While I cannot wait to get the rifles to the range, firing the round through a revolver seems like a recipe for forehead damage. -Brewer

Firehand said...

It's a modern Sharps, which weight does help. Plus the recoil pad, as there's only so much my shoulder can take. I'd suggest good pads on those rifles as well, and make sure the butt is snugged tightly into the shoulder pocket.

I'd suggest the cowboy action loads from HSM to start, good ammo and reloadable brass and not real hot loads.

The Mag Research I haven't fired, I don't know of anyone getting a barrel in the forehead with a good tight grip, but it is going to kick like a bad-tempered mule.