Thursday, May 05, 2022

From BRM, some really good self-defense advice,

starting with "Stay the hell away from malls if you can", and then this:
I strongly recommend and endorse the advice given by John Farnam in March 2003:
The best way to handle any potentially injurious encounter is: Don’t be there. Arrange to be somewhere else. Don’t go to stupid places. Don’t associate with stupid people. Don’t do stupid things. This is the advice I give to all students of defensive firearms. Winning a gunfight, or any other potentially injurious encounter, is financially and emotionally burdensome. The aftermath will become your full-time job for weeks or months afterward, and you will quickly grow weary of writing checks to lawyer(s). It is, of course, better than being dead or suffering a permanently disfiguring or disabling injury, but the “penalty” for successfully fighting for your life is still formidable.

Crowds of any kind, particularly those with an agenda, such as political rallies, demonstrations, picket lines, etc are good examples of “stupid places.” Any crowd with a high collective energy level harbors potential catastrophe. To a lesser degree, bank buildings, hospital emergency rooms, airports, government buildings, and bars (particularly crowded ones) fall into the same category. All should be avoided. When they can’t be avoided, we should make it a practice to spend only the minimum time necessary there and then quickly get out.

“A superior gunman is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment in order to keep himself out of situations that would require the use of his superior skills.”


I'll throw in, a few years ago I wrote to the management of a big mall who had 'No Concealed Carry' on the doors asking why?  The response was "It is our policy to only allow our security guards and police to carry weapons on our property."
"So if I am attacked or robbed in your parking lot or parking garage, you're liable for not protecting me and not allowing me to carry a weapon for self-defense?"
Unsurprisingly, there was no response.  You're on your own but they don't want to actually admit it.

5 comments:

James said...

I've talked to a number of grocery store clerks lately about people's responses to the riding cost of food. They tell me that they see a lot of severe hostility toward them when they give out the total. As far as Farnam's advice, I would add stay out of stores at peak shopping hours. When things get worse, some of these people are going to flip out.

Anonymous said...

The ONLY way I would get near a Crowd….of ANY Type in ANY place.
If someone in my family was being held Hostage IN the crowd.

I am not the brightest bulb…But I can learn from others mistakes.

Country Boy said...

My wife and I quit going to malls many years ago. When public transportation started in this area, the youths from the poorer parts of town found out they could ride to the malls, create havoc, and take a bus back home before security or the police could respond. They also found that the hidden areas (dumpsters, loading docks, and the like) were great party areas if they stayed around until after closing. Soon, the gang turf wars started and there were fights, knifings, and shootings. People who just wanted to shop quit showing up. Malls tried to increase security, but screams of "racism" kept their efforts from being worthwhile. Currently, of the 4 major malls near me, one remains. Barely. I agree with BRM, as Mr Miyagi so succintly put it, "Remember, best block no be there."

rickn8or said...

Mall and store owners want to have it both ways: They don't licensed CCW people on their property, but won't accept the responsibility of their safety.

Me, my handgun and my money will be happy to stay out of your store/mall. There's nothing there I can't find, often for a better price, at E-Bay or Amazon.

Anonymous said...

Malls, individual stores and other entities love to cite their "policy". I have a policy too: my wallet and my sidearm are like conjoined twins. They both go or neither goes.

Don't want my sidearm? Then you dont get my money.