Wednesday, March 21, 2007

New shooters and revolvers

Couple of days ago I'd taken a friend to the range, and it reinforced something that's been said by a lot of people: that the perfect handgun for someone a: new to it and/or b: who won't shoot very often is a revolver.

Background: Friend was divorced some years ago, and one of the things the ex left behind was a S&W Model 13. It had been sitting wrapped up in a rag for years, until- due to some happenings in the neighborhood- she decided she wanted to learn to use it. Enter I, stage left.

If you're not familiar with the Model 13, it's basically the lovely old Model 10 with a heavy barrel and chambered in .357 Magnum. Once I'd cleaned and lubed it, I told her she couldn't have a better piece for the purpose; the .357 with good loads has one of the best 1-shot fight-stop records of any cartridge, and .38 Special ammo with premium hollow points is not far behind.

Since she'd not fired anything other than a .22 rifle in years, I started her off with a .22 revolver, then on to hers loaded with .38's. Problem: she decided that the .22, being so much quieter and so much less muzzle flash, would be a better choice. Yes, I pointed out the problems of a .22 for self-defense, but hell, I'm just the guy teaching her, what do I know?

I told her I'd look around, and since good-quality double-action .22s are hard to find at less than $400 or so, I had her try out a Ruger Mk II semi-auto. Which is where the reinforcement came in, because at that point she handled revolvers pretty well, but had real problems remembering everything with a semi-auto(magazine, chambering first round, safety, etc.). She wasn't comfortable with it, and I was not comfortable with the idea of her keeping a semi for self-defense; I knew she'd never go to the range on her own, and I couldn't take her often enough and drill her enough that she'd be comfortable and safe handling the semi-auto.

To repeat: a good revolver can be loaded and put in your storage place and not worried about: no magazine or firing pin spring under tension, no slide or bolt to work in a moment of stress, no safety to accidentally push on or off at the wrong time. It's there, ready if you need it.

I like the 1911, and it's my carry piece. Glocks, the Springfield XD pistols, lots of good semi-autos out there, but the fact is they require more training and practice to handle well and safely. Fact is, I'd have no problem carrying a good revolver with a speed-loader or two in case needed, and for someone like this lady a good revolver is the best thing she could have. And that goes for a lot of people.

Oh, she finally got used to the .38's; it was kind of amazing. This last time we went shooting they didn't bother her at all. She shot up what I'd brought along and went to the desk and bought another box and shot it. And decided that it was probably better than a .22 after all. To my great relief.

No comments: