Sunday, December 23, 2007

Kevin's been working on one of his serious pieces,

and it's up here. It begins:
Welcome to another of my patented dissertation-length essays. (Consider yourselves forewarned.) This one is about perception and propaganda; about conviction, communication, conversion. It is, to some extent, about a documentary film, but more it is about government, about war, about politics, about history.

It's largely concerned with a '2005 Sundance Film Festival award-winning documentary' film. Considering the kind of things that's been Sundance award winners, you can probably guess the slant. Long piece, very much worth going through.

I'll just note part of a comment by Markadelphia:Reality is what you make it, Kevin. There are many people in the world who want peace. Someday they may succeed. What if it happens? As long as people believe that war is inevitable, it will be. Ever read On War by Clausewitz?
Two things about this bother me. One is the 'reality is what you make it' noise. The other is the standard-issue 'many people want peace, what if they succeed?' stuff. I've mentioned before having known a number of 'peace at any price' people, and I suspect Markadelphia fits that mold. Peace over freedom, peace over anything. I tend to not know if they're simply well-wishing people who don't want to see some things, or if they're actively deluding themselves. I want peace, surely; I don't know much of anyone(outside the enemy) who doesn't. I also want freedom; and if we say "We'll do anything for peace, including giving up parts of our freedom", we're screwed. I do think anyone who advocates that is, intentionally or not, on the side of the enemy. If they want the peace of slaves, they can have it, I and mine do not want and will not accept it.

No comments: