Sunday, June 25, 2006

The previous post brought to you- especially-

by a day at the range

With a friend and his son. Lots of ammo expended, lots of holes in targets, a hot and thirsty good time had by all.

In particular the kid. He'd been with us once before and couldn't hit the paper at 50 yards. At all. Moved up to 25, he could usually hit the paper but in patterns, not groups. BIG patterns. Today he started with his dads' Winchester 94/22(looks like a scaled-down model 94, but in .22lr with side-ejection) and did much better than before. And then he tried the Martini model 12(similar to the 12/15 here) and fell in love. And shot even better. Mind you, he had to use a rest, as it was too heavy for him to hold in any offhand position, but he liked it anyway. Can't blame him.

I fired a couple of things, but mostly enjoyed the #1 MkIII training rifle. I can't find the post I did on it a while back; if I can later I'll add a link. Think the #1 Enfield .303, but bored to shoot .22lr ammo. It's a marvelous thing, in this case with a Ross rear sight added on. The Ross has a wide, low notch, but when you flip the ladder up it's an aperture. Large aperture, but still works well. Enough to to allow me to do this at 100 yards with it:














A little over 2.5" spread, which I'm quite happy with. I just love shooting these old rifles.

And now, I need to put the trash out so it isn't missed(again).

No comments: