Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Translation from NY Gov-speak:

"You other businesses haven't annoyed us like Trump has, so as long as you don't you don't have to worry about being prosecuted!  So please don't consider leaving."As Madame Althouse says: 
What is the "extraordinary, unusual circumstance"?

Being Donald Trump? If so, she's revealing that she believes the prosecutors went after the man, not the crime, an abhorrent abuse of power.

So, whatever she thinks, she can't mean to be saying that. What else is there?

I'd say there is nothing else except the "So would you other people please not pack up and leave this state?"
Which makes me wonder if, before they started this, they even considered the lessons other businesses would take from this?


And an idea someone had: "If his properties were over-stated in value, that could mean he over paid property taxes for the N number of years; that could mean  he can refile those state taxes with the NEW declared values and probably make MORE than he would lose from the fine."  Oh, wouldn't that become interesting quickly?

2 comments:

Fred said...

I believe the scenario you present regarding property taxes actually occurred in Illinois (Chicago?) on a Trump property and he was refunded over a million dollars overpaid.

Anonymous said...

The wrinkle here is tax values are often lower than the value in a commercial market. I know when I do a deal, the banks don't use tax values. They use either sales (for houses) or income (for commercial) comps.

I've never had a bank consider what people call the 'tax value' a real assessment of price. Tax values are always lower than appraised value.

Refunds occur, but usually because of a mistake made by the assessor. I got my rate halved once when they did an algorithmic assessment based on an incorrect lot size. Their number was actually pretty close, but I dinged them and they agreed to cut my assessment in half for a year.