Sunday, April 28, 2024

It has come to my attention

that I need a lot more trigger time, especially with rifles.  And with current ammo prices, there will be more dry-fire time.

Which also means some upper-body exercises that won't aggravate the arthritis problems.  This will be fun.

Which brings me to a piece of equipment some of you might find handy, courtesy the Bayou Renaissance Man, they Breakaway Tackle Coaster
which works quite well as a throw lever for variable-power scopes.  After reading his piece, next time I needed something from Amazon(I think Tam calls it BezosMart) I ordered a set.  I've got one on a scope now, and it works well.

I'm also going to steal from another post of his about a scope, a comment with a way of leveling a scope:
Level the weapon on a convenient work surface with the scope rings loose enough so the scope can be rotated by hand. Hang a plumb line directly behind the rifle by a few feet. Use something beyond the plumb line as a screen--wall, box, whatever. Shine a strong flashlight (100 lumens or so) backwards through the scope. The cross hairs will be projected onto the screen along with the shadow of the plumb line. Align the vertical cross hair with the plumb line shadow.
I'm going to have to give this a try next time I have one to mount.

4 comments:

RHT447 said...

+1 for the coaster. Mine is mounted on a Nikon BLACK X1000 4-16x 50mm.

IIRC, I found that scope leveling trick on YouToob, posted by a clever lad from Australia.

RHT447 said...

Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eKo-l9Satc

B said...

Ir rifles or .22's for practice.

It isn't as good as the "real" rifle, but much of the skills and training transfer.

I'm currently using an air rifle that has a decent trigger for about 0.006 per shot all in.

I can stack 5 shots on a dime at 50 ft with it. About an inch at 50 yards. Not the best but it is cheap to shoot for practice.

Firehand said...

Oh yes, .22s are wonderful. And nothing wrong with a good air rifle/pistol