Few years back I wrote about getting a Mosin-Nagant sniper. I've had a lot of fun shooting it, but it has one drawback: that steel buttplate isn't real shoulder-friendly. With cast-bullet loads, no problem; with ball, problem*. So over the last couple of days made some changes. The big one
To ease some minds: no, I did not cut the original stock. I was able to find another stock in good shape and used it; the original is put safely away.
And yes, the stock needs some cleanup; that'll be done after I know no further mods are needed.
Since I had to stretch my position forward a bit for proper distance to the scope on the original, I cut a little more than the thickness of the pad off; puts it just about right. I had a large pad I'd set aside for something(what, you never bought something on sale just in case?), and it worked nicely. Due to the shape of the stock I don't think a medium would've worked; the large I had to cut a fair amount off the toe(hacksaw), but that let me fit it nicely. Used the belt-disc sander to cut it as close to the wood as could, then a sharp file the rest of the way.
Going to a new stock, I also bedded the action using JB Weld and made sure the barrel is free-floated. Didn't take long to do the latter, there were only a couple of places where I had to scrape the barrel channel for clearance, and then not much.
No, no pictures of the process; on the bedding I always get the crap on my hands and other things, so didn't want to get it on the camera, and for the scraping didn't think to until it was done. I know, bad blogger.
Now I need time and weather to cooperate so I can get to the range and try this out.
*Years before that I damaged my shoulder in a bicycle accident, and now it gets sensitive at times.
Yeah, I know; all the other crap I've done, and a bleepin' bicycle did it.