Sunday, April 08, 2012

A solution to the "What rifle to test the modified ammo?" question Updated

Since I wrote the Acu'rzr post I've been wondering what to test the ammo with, so as to remove as much human(i.e. "my marksmanship") error as possible; I've got a scoped .22 bolt rifle I'd planned on, but had wished I could use the Martini: it's wonderfully accurate, has a forend that'll sit in the rest solid as you can hope for, and I love shooting it. But iron sights only, and I haven't really wanted to drill & tap the barrel for mounts.

Which problem was solved when I was looking in a box for something else and found this mount:
I think I picked this up at Tulsa last spring in a box of stuff*, and flatly did not remember it was there. Until I ran across it and thought
"This is exactly what I needed!" followed by
"Why the BLEEP didn't I remember I had this?"
In any case, it came with two screws that slip through the bottom piece and thread into the upper. Except that this barrel is just wide enough that the screws couldn't fit from one hole to the other. Dug around and found a couple of long #6 machine screws that would fit(no, I haven't trimmed them yet) and some washers, and this locked it in place nicely. And it sits high enough that it clears the front sight, low enough can still get a decent lower cheek/jaw weld. I wouldn't want to use this on something with much recoil, but on a .22- especially one whose weight makes recoil as close to 'nonexistent' as possible- it should work very nicely. If I can make time this week I'll take it to H&H and do some testing/sighting in, all works out it'll only take a few rounds to zero it at 50 yards when I get to that range. Which'll also warm the barrel up for the test shots.


Update: said 'Screw it' and hit the range this morning, just made it part of the great-circle grocery-shopping expedition. The mount worked great(one of those things that you know it should, but you have to find out for certain), the scope should be real close to dead-on at 50 when I can make it out there, and I got to shoot the Martini again.


*One of these:
"Hmm, box of bases, rings, other stuff... I can use some, friend could probably use some of this" thinks I.
Table owner sees me looking: "You can have the box for $10."
"Sold."

No comments: