Wednesday, February 23, 2022

I spent a lot of years working a job where I was 'essential personnel', which means

"We don't care how bad the roads are/how cold it is, you have to be here when you're on the schedule.  And unless you're so sick it you just can't, don't call in sick either."
Because we were almost perpetually short-handed, and someone HAD to be there 24/7.

Now I don't have to go sliding down the road to work, hoping I'll be able to get home later.  It did leave me with an attitude problem when there's 1 or 2 inches of snow and you see a list of all the places closing: "You serious?  You can't get there in this?"

Well, that's one of my attitude problems.

3 comments:

ruralcounsel said...

Totally. I spent 10 years in Michigan, another 12 in Vermont, and getting snowstorms was just part and parcel with living there.

One of my jobs involved running a chemical plant which operated 24/7, 3 shifts. If it was my week to be the on-call engineer, I was expected to make it into the plant ASAP, any time of day or night in any weather. If we thought the weather would be an issue, we stayed at the plant and slept there.

Another job I had was as a TRC (temp rural carrier) for the Postal Service. We never failed to deliver mail because of weather. We might be slow or late, but we went out 6 days a week (7 during Christmas rush) regardless of weather.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how soft everyone has become, when it comes to weather. I went to junior high and high school in Northern Michigan. School was only canceled if the temperature was below -25 F or more than 24" of snow was expected in 24 hours.

Dan said...

Spent many years working at a ski resort hospital....at altitude...while living in an adjacent valley. The only excuse for not showing up they would tolerate was if the gendarmes had closed the passes and roads to ALL traffic. Anything less got you written up and your job threatened. Most employers these days are utter and complete Nazis.