Sunday, January 05, 2014

Tried a new recipe today,

and it came out pretty well.  Daughter found it here.  I used a roast instead of brisket, and following her advice I used Simply Apple juice instead of cider, and on my own I left out the parsnips and threw in some new potatoes.  The meat's fork-tender, and tasty.  Which was a relief; it got done before I'd thought it would and I'd worried it was overdone.

I think next time I'll fiddle with spices a bit.  And you could probably use water and some suitable beer instead of juice/cider; all kinds of possibles come to mind.


4 comments:

Phelps said...

Did Alton Brown's French Onion Soup yesterday, given the weather. It too had a decent amount of apple cider in it, which the internet noobs all kept saying in the comments was too much.

Well, they were wrong, and know nothing about flavor profiles (a term that was far, far overused.) The soup starts out sweet, but the cheese toast cuts it well, and progresses to very smokey and then back to sweet and smokey. It's really superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzPKV26KTEs

Phelps said...

Oh, and I substituted Shiner Boch for the white wine, which was a good choice. No small part of that was that we needed 16 oz, and it comes in 12 oz bottles, meaning someone had to drink that last 8 oz.

Firehand said...

Damn. I'm going to have to try that

Phelps said...

ESPECIALLY if you have an onion patch. Even then, store bought onions aren't expensive for 4 pounds, but it only makes six bowls or so.

(Also, it generates copious amounts of gas, but out of respect for my wife I didn't mention that.)