Tuesday, February 04, 2020

My bitching about an algorithm the other day (updated)

was because of this:
Company on Gunbroker had something up for auction I'd been looking for for a long time.  I tried to bid, and got a message "This company won't let you bid on their items, contact them." 

I did.  Basically "If you have negative feedback or no/insufficient feedback, we don't let you bid so we don't waste our time."

Pointed out that while I buy very little on GB, all my feedback was good.

The lack of response made the "Don't bother us" quite plain.

So lost the chance to buy something, maybe the only time I'll find one at a price I could afford, because "Screw new customers, go away."  Still pissed and discouraged.

Update:
The company is called Tango Yankee.  The full response when I asked why:
All bidders on our auctions are routinely reviewed and when non-payment feedback, or lack of feedback is detected they're blocked to protect our consignors from delay and expense.
I understand someone with bad feedback for non-payment or something; telling someone who just hasn't bought much, or is new to Gunbroker that "We don't want your business" doesn't seem like a good idea.

And yeah, I'm still a bit pissed about it.

4 comments:

Larry said...

Two suggestions.

1. Add a link to the item so I know who not to bother.

2. Send them the URL of your blog.

Erin Palette said...

What Larry said! Name 'em and shame 'em.

tkdkerry said...

+1 on Larry and Erin.

Arthur said...

Sounds like, "we only accept referrals by current customers". Ok, congratulations on a business so booming you dont need new business...