Friday, December 06, 2019

A range day was had,

and it was good.*  Fairly gusty at times, but still good.

Mostly trying some .45-70 loads, and messing with a couple of other things.  This one is a re-try of one that worked nicely last time, the Lyman 525-grain Postell over 23.0 of A5744:
 Right at 3.75" at 200 yards.  I can live with that.

Also tried it with 24.0 grains
That far-left is my fault.  I was lined up, started pressing the trigger, and realized just as it broke that I'd forgotten to set the trigger, and pulled it off.  Dammit.  The four good ones a bit wider than the 23.0, but this needs to be tried again.

Also a couple of tries using the Lyman 340-grain hollowpoint bullet, cast of 20-1(same as the Postell), this one over 30.0 A5744.  Much higher POI, and the wind affected it more.
Try it again.

Same bullet, this time over 44.8 of Blackhorn 209, after lowering the rear sight just a bit
Nice.  Quite nice.  Need to try both of these again.

The other 'Let's see what happens' was this: I have some RCBS .45 basic cases, which are quite long and you trim to whatever length.  I took five 2.130" cases and loaded them with 66.0 of 2f black** to see if moving the bullet closer to the rifling would have any effect.  This combination spread out over the target, not a winning setup.

The rest of the day involved confirming zero on one rifle, finding out the scope mount on one was loose(and of course I didn't have the right hex key with me), and messing with a .22.




*Almost any day at the range is
**I've gotten pretty good results with a standard length case and 65.0 of that powder.  Since this is a longer case, threw in 1 grain more.

No comments: