Wednesday, October 09, 2019

"What do I say after a shooting?"

Good piece.  Includes
Most people err in providing TOO MUCH information to the police.  That’s why there are so many experts instructing armed citizens to “say nothing” to responding police officers.  Saying nothing is BETTER than saying too much but it may not be the BEST course of action.

I think Massad Ayoob provides the best advice here.  In his work as a police officer, prosecutor, and expert witness, he has seen it all and knows what works.  His suggestions in The Armed Citizens Legal Network Journal are as follows:

Massad Ayoob’s Five-Point Checklist
1.     Tell responding officers “I’m the victim; he is the perpetrator.”
2.     Tell responding officers, “I will sign a complaint.”
3.     Point out pertinent evidence.
4.     Point out any witnesses who saw what happened.
5.     If there is any hint that you are a suspect, say “Officer, you will have my full cooperation after I have counsel here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, I do not WANT TO shoot anyone. A home invader I confront will be given the opportunity to back away from me and run for it. Anything else they may do WILL be considered as a threat.

My first call while a home invader bleeds out on my kitchen floor is to one of the three attorneys I have on speed dial. No exceptions.

Only then will I call 911. I will repeat the message once and then hang up to await their arrival. Here it is:

"I (we) have been the victim(s) of a violent assault. Please send law enforcement and fire/EMS immediately."

That's it. I do not want anything said on a recorded 911 line that may be used against me. When they arrive, my firearm will already be cleared and displayed on the counter, and I will provide them my ID. I (we) WILL NOT talk to law enforcement until conferring with the attorney after they arrive, and only upon the advice of the attorney. In such an incident, the police are not your friend.

Firehand said...

Sad, isn't it? The people you should be able to think of as on your side, or at least unbiased, have to be considered a threat to your freedom.

Seems to depend- a LOT- on where you are; some places you're in pretty good shape, but in others... and all it takes is one cop with a bad attitude or a DA thinking it'll help him stay in office to screw you over.