Friday, December 21, 2018

Fits with what's been observed over time

There is a significant gap between the number of defensive gun uses researchers find in surveys, and defensive gun uses recorded by police or in various media. 
... 
Over the years, I have had many people tell me of their personal defensive gun uses.  The vast majority of them occurred with no shots being fired.  The vast majority were credible. Only one of them (with no shots fired) reported the incident to the police.  It was never reported in the local media. 

Throw in places like New Effing York where a dgu- no matter what- can get you thrown in jail, and if someone can just walk away, they will.  Especially if it's a 'no shot fired' use.  Things like that push the official numbers WAY down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. Called the cops in the aftermath. Wound up with three county PD officers in front of my door. Two interviewed me (and a witness who saw the whole thing), while a third stood on point in the street.

Short Story: Man in car did not like being told to slow down (speeding in a 25 MPH zone - many children on the block). Bad man parked car, got out and advanced in my direction.

Bottom line: Man saw my pistol, got back in his car and went away. I had my hand on the pistol grip, but I never drew it from the holster, or even deactivated the retention device. Witness corroborated my recounting. Police said something to the effect of "OK - just don't chase him!", assuming I knew who the guy was (I'd never seen him before, so no, I was not about to chase him).

End of story. No reports, no media attention, no shots fired.