Tuesday, February 05, 2008

As proven by Senate candidate Andrew Rice,

Oklahoma has a full share of nutcase-level liberals:
A posh New York City club and a long list of liberals highlight Senate candidate Andrew Rice's latest fundraising effort.

Rice, who seeks the Democratic nomination to oppose incumbent Republican Jim Inhofe this year, doesn't list the event on his official website, but it is being mentioned in other, out-of-state places.(bold mine)
...
HOST COMMITTEE: Edward Norton, Janeane Garofalo, and Doug Liman, etc. MORE INFO: Oklahoma State Senator Andrew Rice is an anti-war Democrat with a good chance of winning the vulnerable Republican seat held by Senator James Inhofe, the most anti-environment member of the US Senate and the man best known for calling global warming the “greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people.” Andrew Rice re-dedicated his life to social justice work after the death of his brother David in the 9/11 attacks in the WTC. He helped push for the creation of the 9/11 Commission and has been an outspoken opponent of the war in Iraq.

When a politician running for office in Oklahoma goes to NYeffin'C to raise funds with a group like this, and conveniently doesn't put notice of it on his website, you know that:
A: he knows a lot of people here will draw the appropriate conclusions and
B: won't like it.
And he's right on both points. Among other things, note the 're-dedicated his life to social justice work' bit, which generally works out to "The government needs to take care of you. Whether you like it or not. Which will involve taking your money(since you can't spend it right) and doing Good Things with it. Again, whether you like it or not."

I just looked at his site, and sure enough, while there are several fundraisers listed, all of them are in-state. Let's see, looking at the 'why I'm running' link, among other things I find this:
This past year, five of Rice's proposals -- including Norman Democrat Bill Nations' bill requiring helmets for drivers of all terrain vehicles -- made it to the governor's desk; an A-grade accomplishment for the new, 34-year-old lawmaker.
Definite indication of a nanny-state politician there. There's also this:
"We're under no illusions about how hard Inhofe will be," he said. "But I'm confident in my ability to build coalitions and do good work for the state. I think Oklahomans want their officials to be bipartisan. I think they're unhappy with Washington."

Uh, guy, got two things for you :
First, I've become convinced 'bipartisan' is often a bad thing; I don't want someone who represents me getting all bipartisan and forgetting why I voted for him.
Second, yeah, a lot of us ARE unhappy with Washington, but I don't think for the same reasons you are.


He's not running in my district, so I can't vote against him. But I can see if my little soapbox here lets people know about some things. And personally, the fact that Garofalo and her little friends are so excited about him really puts my guard up.


Found at Mr. McCarville's place.

No comments: