Sunday, August 13, 2006

That .22 I asked about the other day?

Kevin and a guy at Rimfire Central and a guy at The High Road all came up with similar info: it appears to be a rifle made by Marlin for Sears. It was sold by Sears, Roebuck from 1931 to 1935, and Marlin made it under their own name as the Model 50.

And that is ALL the information available. I just spent an hour running searches, and the only thing I could find was an old post at a shopping board on a guy looking for a magazine and a place selling them.

In a day or two I'll be able to put up some personal findings; after begging and pleading for a while asking nicely, I was allowed to take it to the range today and try it out. Which of course called for taking it down and cleaning it. Found out a couple of more odd things about this firearm. Right now, with my connection, it'd take all bloody evening to get the pictures posted, so I'll hold off until I have access to a faster line.

About it being made for Sears, this was done with a LOT of firearms over time. There were shotguns and rifles of all types sold under the Sears, Roebuck name which were nothing more than a different name & model number stamped on someone else's product. I remember seeing what appeared to be a standard Winchester Model 94 with the Sears name & model on it when I was a kid. KevinPaul provided this link(good thing because I didn't think of checking this) to a cross-reference chart; go take a look at this piece of the past.

No comments: