Thursday, August 17, 2006

Some range day observations

I'd read before, and seen some tests at the Box o' Truth that Wolf .30 Carbine ammo was a bit underpowered. I don't know about before, but the stuff I shot, recently bought, had the same point of impact at 100 yards as some Lake City ball I tried, and both ejected the cases about the same distance/angles. On the other hand, some Amerc stuff, while accurate at 50 yards, wasn't even on the paper at 100. All of it fed with no jams, FTFs or other problems. This was both at the bench, kneeling and offhand.

The M/N sniper seems to like both the Czech light ball and the Hungarian I tried the other day; about the same POI on both, and the Hungarian might have been a shade tighter-grouping; on the other hand, the Hungarian heavy ball was bloody awful. The Polish light ball I tried before shot well, not quite as accurate as these. I did notice that the Hungarian and Polish, which have either copper-washed cases or something else of the type were noticeably easier to eject than the laquered Czech cases, especially with hot weather.

The Finn M39 shot the Hungarian heavy ball just fine accuracy-wise; but the POI was damn near five inches higher at 100 yards than the light ball.

I still have the Ranger in my sweaty little hands, so I took it with me and put 50 rounds through. No FTF or FTE this time, as I made sure the magazine was locked in correctly. With the (for me) lousy sights, I could still get about 1.5" groups at 50 yards. The trigger is a bit rough and creepy, were I able I'd find out how to take it down and clean/polish it up a bit. That open-bolt firing is a touch odd; I'm not sure how to describe it, you do notice that something is happening other than the sear dropping a hammer. But if you're not looking for it, or were used to it, don't think it would ever stand out.

Overall, just a nice hot day at the range.

No comments: