Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Speaking of radios for emergencies,

I noticed something today. I've got a RCA 'personal stereo' type; earphones only, runs off two AAA batteries, gets AM and FM stations. I generally use it when I'm doing laundry, or working in the yard, anywhere from an hour to two hours at a stretch.

Last week, the day after I did laundry, while getting ready for work I heard a news report, very faint. Only I'd turned the stereo off. Then I thought Oh, crap, I left the portable on! It was, I turned it off and forgot about it. Then used it today for about an hour and a half. Then I started trying to figure out how long those two batteries have been in use. I got the thing last year, it's had those batteries since sometime last winter. Figure two hours/week in winter, sometimes 5-6/week in warm weather, add in the 21 hours when I left it on the the two hours today... That's a long damn time, on the same two batteries. Maybe because it's not driving bigger speakers?

In any case, this type would be one to consider, at least as a spare. It cost five or six dollars as I recall, and AAAs are cheap.

No comments: