Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Parts

Bike parts this time. I ordered new friction plates and springs for the Vulcan today, after they get in I'll drain the oil, change the filter, redo the clutch and put it all back together. Sometime after that I'll get new radiator hoses and replace them & change out the coolant.

Reason for all this is two. Just on general principles it's got enough miles that the clutch needs doing, and it's time for the radiator. Second is that if things work out, in August I'll be going to Sturgis for the bike rally. It'll be the first time I've been there. I figure about 2-3 weeks ahead I'll put the bike into a local shop called Performance Bike- they do good work- and say "Check everything"; it's about 1100 miles each way according to the map, and I'd rather find any problems- potential or current- here, instead of somewhere on an empty stretch of highway in Nebraska.

Actually, I'm split about destination. I may go to Sturgis, or I may just pick a direction and take off. I've got a friend who'll take care of the house and critters, so that's not a problem, so I may just wander for a week or so. And if I do that, I may flip a coin to choose a direction. No reservations needed either way, so no rush on deciding. This would be the first real vacation I've taken in a long time, and I'm looking forward to it. I always try to get some time so I can go to the Wanamacher Arms Show in Tulsa in October, but that's not the same.

I do need to check states to make sure which ones recognize an OK concealed carry permit; I damn sure don't want to travel without it.

Sturgis or wherever? Decisions, decisions...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go to Sturgis. You'll love it.

Gerry