Wednesday, April 13, 2022

For all the well wishes and prayers, thank you

Stayed with someone for this first week, because, bluntly, I couldn't have taken care of things like eating and so forth worth a damn.  And I hate having to A: Impose on people, and B: Not be able to take care of myself.

Yes, there is progress.  Considering a fairly important joint suffered a major assault a week ago, it probably counts as pretty good, though I still need a walker to get very far and for balance.

As to 'don't overdo it', as soon as someone tells me just that that covers I will make sure to do so.  The instructions sent home for PT are "Do each of these 40 times, twice a day.  There may be some discomfort."

'Discomfort' my ass.  And if they have ANYBODY who, during that first couple of weeks, can do these that many reps at all, let alone twice a day, they are stronger and more pain-resistant than I.  And I plan to tell the doc so at the 2-week followup.  I'm just going to have to fumble my way through this as best as can.

If you're wondering, full replacement.  

10 comments:

Jim M said...

A friend of mine had a knee replacement, a hip replacement and major shoulder work. I mentioned to his wife that he was divorcing her one piece at a time. She never spoke to me again.

BC said...

Good to hear your keister-ectomy went well. Good luck on the road to recovery!

Anonymous said...

No doubt, Lots of tears. But do as much as you can stand, It'll be better in the long run.

Papa said...

I ‘ve been known to comment on any blog I read about once a decade.. But as you’re a guitar player and a reader, I thought I’d offer some encouragement, specifically TKR…. In my case, right knee 1 1/2 years ago and left a year ago…. From experience, just hang in there, incredible pain, get a walker; it’s good at the start, but you won’t need it for long… work that PT as hard as you can. Especially extension and flexion. Good luck and success on your recovery.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're doing better.
Ohio gUY

Rey B said...

Thee Gud Wyfe went through it twice, I would not wish it on anyone. Do they have you using the machine that pumps chilled water through a wrap around the knee? She had that with the second knee and felt it helped a lot.

clayusmcret said...

Rely on the knowledge that most people who have a knee replacement claim (eventually) that it is better than before. Ya just have to get to that "eventually" stage.

DaveS said...

My dear Mother just had the same procedure 2 weeks ago. Just got home from the nursing rehab center (she has Parkinsons to make things tougher!). Can now walk 100 ft with a walker. I know that recovery times can vary with individuals, but full knee replacement is tough. Do as much as you can every day. The important thing is to not give up (yep - I've had to do a lot of coaching and cheerleading the past couple of weeks). One of these days/weeks/months you'll be happy that you did it. Hang in there!!

daniel_day said...

Best wishes for as fast and complete a recovery as possible, Sir.

Firehand said...

Rey, they have not, just stretching it out with ice packs after exercise and twice a day otherwise.