Monday, September 27, 2021

Something on black powder cartridges

I think I've done the lecture before that 'There can be no space between the powder column and projectile, or wad and projectile, because Bad Things will happen.'  Something I've done, just to be on the safe side, is that whether the load causes the powder to need to be compressed or not, I seat the wad so that the bullet will compress the powder the last 1/16" when seated; in a non-compressed load, the bullet has to compress that small amount to get to final overall length.  That way I can always feel that last bit of 'oomph' as the bullet seats; you can measure very carefully and all, but I like that tactile notice that 'there is no space'.

Where that's touchy is with a non-compressed load.  Just in case I haven't mentioned the compression thing, 
Black powder burns better with some amount of compression.  A lot of people get all the packing they need for accuracy by using a drop tube, a brass or copper tube about 24" long.  You measure the powder, then pour it slowly(I use a slow five count) into the tube, where the fall lets it pack nicely into the case you're holding at the bottom.  And it does pack.*  Other people use the drop tube, and then use a compression die** to compress it further to what they've found works best for them.  Then the wad(if you use one) and bullet.

With powder that you've already compressed some, you can really feel when the bullet seats that last bit.  With a charge that's just been drop-tubed, there's not nearly that much feedback.  Which is why on the ten I just loaded I- as usual- measured things several times and felt the pressure really carefully to make sure of that last 1/16".

It eases my mind considerably.***


*When I started this mess, while figuring out starting loads, I'd drop the charge down the tube, measure where it came up to, and have to tap the side of the case to get the last 1/3 or so of the powder to come out.

**It's a die with a plug turned to just fit into the cartridge case.  You adjust the depth to get the amount of compression you need/want.  It was a bit of a queasy feeling the first times I heard that powder crunch a bit.

***I've known a couple of people who stopped working with black loads, they're just a bit too picky about things for them.

No comments: