Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Make your own snap caps

This idea is courtesy of the Great and Knowledgeable Og, in a post he did a few years ago, and which I cannot find; I do locate it, I'll post a link.
 
Simple process: take a cartridge case, and a nylon screw.  Drill the primer pocket to suitable size for the screw and thread it(I've been using #10).  Run the screw in from the front, and you're done.

It works well, and when the screw is getting battered you can just screw it in further and trim off the beaten-up face.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good tip ! Thanks for submitting it to us. I used to insert a dab of silicone into the primer pocket, but it eventually dries out and you have to do over and over.

John in Philly said...

I wonder if filling the primer pocket with a blob of silicone, or two part epoxy or something I didn't think of would also work.
Or a little disk of plastic or hard rubber cut out with a tiny gasket punch.

Firehand said...

Over time I've tried all of those, for the rubber I used a leather punch to make discs from inner tube and glue them in place.

They work, but the nylon screw idea is better. If you have or can borrow a drill or press, and get a bit and tap, do that.

John in Philly said...

I will give your suggestion a try.