Friday, April 26, 2019

Had a chance to hit the outdoor range

the other day and try some loads, re-zero a scope, and generally be out on a very nice day.

Main thing wanted to try was some .45-70 loads using that Lyman Postell bullet.  Lyman says it's 535 grains, out of this mold using 20-1 it comes out 522 grains.  First five were used adjusting the rear sight(this was at 200 yards; yes, should've started at 100); trajectory definitely different from the Lee 500-grain with the same load.  That put it on target, first being that at the bottom:
Dialed in a touch more elevation, that got the two in the ten ring.  I saw those through the scope, thought "Hot damn!", took a minute to talk to the guy I was there with, and then put the next two in the ten-nine ring pair.  I'm pretty sure the separation is my fault.  The light conditions put the target in shadow, and were changing with the sun; throw in the left lower edge of the target coming loose and blowing...  I should've looked at the second shot and then done the third and fourth without taking that break to admire.  The first pair are 1" center to center, second 1 3/4", if you measure across all four it's 5 1/2".  Considering everything, not bad.

I had a load using the Lee 405-grain hollowbase bullet that's shot very well at 100, but the first shot with it wasn't on the target, and I couldn't tell low or high.  Next time I have the chance to do this, I need to take a piece of cardboard about four feet long, and put the target in the middle so low or high will show.  Maybe paint it white, too.

In case you're interested, the sight setting for 100 yards that put the Lee 500-grain in the lower half of the bull at 100 put the Postell about 3" higher, so the initial 200 yard shots were probably high as well.  And yes, I wrote the settings down.  I get this all settled with the selected load, I'll scribe marks on the sight for the different distances.

No comments: