Friday, December 15, 2017

Range report

Mostly .45-70, trying out some things, including different alloy for the bullets.  I started this with either mongrel alloy*, and then with softer, starting with 30-1 lead/tin.  None of it shot badly, but I think the best results are from the latest batch, which is 15-1.

Loaded with Blackhorn 209, this is 20-1,
which seems about average with this load.  Then 15-1
I know what I'll be giving a second test.

I also tried using the coffee filter paper for patches on some 405-grain bullets
Pulled one high, and I think the horizontal spread was due to light; the sun was causing glare in the rear aperture.  I'm going to try this again, with either better light or starting with the sunshade I didn't think to put on until after this.

Didn't have enough bullets cast of the 15-1 to try with black powder, need to do that.  Also need to cast some of the 330-grain Lyman hollowpoints of this and try them.**

I already mentioned having shot the scout-scope setup on the AR, so that's covered.  At least for me, if I wanted real longer-range accuracy(say up to 300), I'd need a higher magnification(this one is 2x), and there are some extended/long eye-relief scopes out there that'd probably work well(no, I'm not running out to buy one). 

The upper on this is one I built because .223/5.56 is so common, and it seemed like a good idea to have something in that cartridge.  So kept watching for parts to go on sale, picking them up as I could.  The barrel was the hardest part: I wanted 1:8 twist, a pencil or lightweight profile, and- preferably- a .223 Wylde chamber.  Finally ran across one at Primary Arms.  Accuracy of this seems quite good with the ammo I've been using(reman on sale at Freedom Munitions); with something loaded more for accuracy, I think it'd do very well.

And now I've got brass to finish cleaning, and sort, and other things of the sort.


*range lead, wheel weights, whatever else; general-use alloy.
**I'm also going to have to take all the 30-1, 25-1, 20-1 alloy and figure how much tin to add to get it to 15-1.  Which will be interesting(and a pain), but will give me a single melt to work with.

4 comments:

taminator013 said...

conversions to 15/1

(lbs of 30/1) X .9677 divided by .9375 minus (lbs of 30/1) = amount of tin

(lbs of 25/1) X .9615 divided by .9373 minus (lbs of 25/1) = amount of tin

(lbs of 20/1) X .9524 divided by .9375 minus (lbs of 20/1) = amount of tin

Example calculation of amount of tin needed to convert 50 lbs of 30/1 into 15/1:

50lbs X .9677= 48.385lbs divided by .9375 =51.61 lbs - 50lbs = 1.61 lbs. So you would need 1.61 lbs tin to convert 50 lbs of 30/1 into 15/1.

Sometimes I'm not to good at explaining things, but I hope these calculations help a little..........

taminator013 said...

In the 25/1 conversion I wrote .9373 instead of .9375.........

Firehand said...

You, sir, are a friggin' wonder, thank you

taminator013 said...

You are more than welcome. Just my little way of saying thanks for all the data and biting commentary that I enjoy so much. I used to do those kind of
PITA calculations all the time at work for chemical ratios. Took me a while to remember how to do them again since I've been retired for 4 years. It was nice to discover that my brain still works at least a little................