Monday, February 05, 2007

Remember the question on the FAA statement?

I wrote to my congresscritter in the Senate, Tom Coburn, and asked him about it. Today I got the following:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding statements made by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the right to bear arms. I appreciate your input on this matter.

As you know, I oppose any and all efforts to mandate gun control on law-abiding citizens. The constitution gives all law-abiding citizens the right to bear arms, and I will do everything I can to defeat any legislative attempts to further infringe upon that right.

According to the FAA, the new rules barring a commercial space flight participant from carrying on board any explosives, firearms, knives or other weapons is a safety consideration only, not based on any particular interpretation of the Second Amendment. Like any other constitutional right, the right to bear arms may be subject to restrictions when reasonable security concerns exist. In the same way firearms are not allowed in airports and on airplanes.

After speaking with the FAA, I am confident there is no cause for alarm. I believe these new rules for commercial space flights are appropriate and necessary safety measures that do not undermine our right to bear arms. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the Second Amendment that it is an individual right and will continue to oppose any federal legislation that seeks to limit this right. On this, there can be no compromise.

Thank you again for bringing this issue to my attention. God Bless.

From this, I get the feeling that a number of C-critters had words with the FAA on this. I still think the way the FAA made their statement is not good; I think that it's probably not the problem indication that it could have been.

No comments: