in this article. Just to argue the points,
1. It seems it's been very well-known in France and the circles he travels in that Kahn is at the least extremely aggressive, at most a flat rapist; he's been protected from facing consequences because of his Socialist Party status, his class and his job.
2. Are you freakin' serious?
3. A: That's what the investigation is for, to find those things out. B: maybe, being here in the US, she knew that if she went to the police she wouldn't be dismissed?
4. As to flight risk, see 'France and Roman Polanski'. Also see 'Ira Einhorn'; given past French activities, yes, he should be considered a flight risk.
5. "Gee, he's a upper-class bigshot, shouldn't he get special considerations in jail? " NO, he shouldn't.
6. You don't think the NYEffin'PD actually investigated? Didn't check records, etc., before arresting him? Once more, are you effing kidding? If you think the investigators weren't aware of the noise that would be stirred up over this...
7. Legally he is innocent until proven guilty. No argument.
8. The price of the room(and other things) doesn't have a thing to do with the accused crime; that's interesting because you've got a rich socialist(should be a contradiction in terms) living high on OPM and screwing around with other peoples' lives.
As to the 'embarrassment', stuff it; he's been- by the legal authorities- treated pretty much like any other accused.