Tuesday, May 26, 2009

This was a strange day at work,

because it was my last working day there. On the 31st I'm officially retired from the agency I've worked at for a damn long time.

Yes, I've been preparing for it for a while; making copies of notes on 'how this crap actually works, as opposed to what the book says' and passing them on, cleaning out old paperwork and shredding it(no, not because it's incriminating), and so forth. And today, gathering up the last few things, putting them in a box and taking them with me when I left.

Really odd to think of not going back there again for work. I'm one of the original people who started that section, and had a hand in getting it where it is. On the other hand... a while back I told my daughter that "At times I think I'll miss the place; then something like this weekend with the last-minute call to work 12-hour shifts happens and I decide 'but I'll get used to it.' "

Right now, to bed. I've still got a lot of crap to take care of tomorrow here and about.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Firehand!

BobG said...

Congratulations; how long before you think you'll get bored?

Firehand said...

Thanks. And estimates vary: from a couple of months to whenever I finally get all the crap that's piled up caught up.

I think Dad was at about two years when he got another job.

Anonymous said...

I've been retired for about ten years now. I don't have time to be bored, I have far too many things to do. From reading your blog I seriously doubt you will have time to do all the things you want. I gotta go now, fish are waiting and my Mountain Man gear needs sorting for a Rendezvous coming up in a couple of weeks. I also have to work up a load for my "new" .45 Hawken rifle.

Retired is what I was born to be.

Gerry N.

Marja said...

Congratulations. I have somewhere between 10 and 16 years left. Right now it would be 10, but there is a lot of talk about the necessity of rising retirement ages, so we'll see. Admittedly Finland does have very low retirement ages right now, but that's something which has happened during the last couple of decades and has a lot to do with the fact that the employers have been eager to get rid of the older workers.

DJMooreTX said...

Sooo...does this mean that the rest of us can give up blogging because you're going to have time to get all the important stuff?

Congratulations in any event.