Tuesday, July 25, 2006

This is a combination moment,

both "Damn, I'm proud of him!" and "Damn, I'm worried!"

Early tomorrow morning, my son begins Basic Training in the U.S. Army.

Family reaction is somewhat mixed. Grandparents are seriously worried for him, the world situation being what it is. Sister isn't worried, and expected him to sign up at some point. And his mom is somewhat pissed he chose Army instead of Air Force.

In any case, he's on a new path. Well, somewhat new. He spent several years in the Civil Air Patrol, including summer encampments, so he's got a pretty good idea of what's coming. As to doing Basic this time of year? The warehouse he's worked at the past while gets up to 115F or so in the upper level on days like today, so hot weather outside won't be a particular problem.

Og suggested I get him to send me updates, if he does I may post bits & pieces. Although I think they may largely amount to "It's hot, I'm tired, and I want to go to a real restaurant and eat! And I can't talk about some of what we're doing." But if something interesting and postable comes in, I'll see about putting it up.

I may have to get a shirt that says "My son can target a terrorist at ten miles" or something.

No comments: