Tuesday, September 26, 2017

There was a sci-fi writer who apparently lost her mind

and wrote some truly stupid crap about suppressors and the Hearing Protection Act.  And it was so bad that the ILOH took time out of writing more books to deal with it.

Two bits(if you need them) to whet your interest:
Now let’s break down Elizabeth Moon’s hyperbolic silliness, line by silly line.
So the House is once again trying to sneak through a bill that deregulates silencers on personal weapons. Yes, they really want us all dead…

That’s just stupid. If congress wanted us all dead it would be easier to just put the democrats from Flint in charge of our water supply.  

they really want to make it easier for their right wing goons to shoot us and not be heard doing so.

That’s right. Congress wants roving bands of redneck ninja death squads, silent but deadly, offing delicate Bambi-like progressives who were just standing on the corner minding their own business. 

It was that stupid line which caused me to write this blog post. I like Moon’s books, but that line took the gold in the thousand meter moron.

And the second, which involves a level of dumb that's just amazing:
And can keep people from knowing there’s someone going around shooting people, so they’re easier to shoot, and nobody knows it’s happening.

Sure, if you’re dealing with TV assassins using action movie physics. Those Redneck Ninja Death Squads are elite operators.

No witnesses, no investigations, no prosecutions.

“What do we have here, Sergeant?”
“Well, Detective, we’ve got a body with multiple gunshot wounds, there’s shell casings over there, we’ve got eye witnesses, security camera footage from the surrounding buildings, cell phone footage from the bystanders, and a bunch of other pieces of forensic evidence… But nobody actually HEARD the gunshots due to the whopping 28 decibels of reduction. So we’ve got no case.”
“Okay, cool. I’m just going to call it a day. Praise Trump.”
“Praise Trump.”
Seriously, because someone used a can No witnesses, no investigations, no prosecutions?   That's just...Jeez.

Go read it all, and- assuming you don't already- you'll know more about suppressors than most of the screaming weenies put together.

5 comments:

Glen Filthie said...

Well it's a classic case of people believing their own bullshit. They see Van Damme blowing up buses with a 9mm, they play video games where a top secret super-villain's lair is cleaned out of hundreds of bad guys with a silenced Berretta 32ACP and figure it all just has to be true. My favourite was Maxwell Smart who had silenced 38 special revolvers...

homebru said...

No. I don't think I will read it. I have been having a pretty nice morning and I don't need some word molester to harsh my mellow.

homebru said...

And, just to clarify my statement, I did not aim my insult at our host.

Arthur said...

NON-Facebook Link

For people who'd rather see facebook die in a fire than link to it.

Arthur said...

To the topic at hand though - tinnitus sucks.

I walked into my local tiny range without my ears on/in. I thought it was empty since there were no cars around. Only to have someone touch off some ridiculously large revolver just as I walked in. Forget the noise, the pressure wave set me back on my heels.

Incidents like that coupled with growing up with guns before hearing protection was a big deal lead to some serious damage.

Today I have to gently lower the toilet seat. If I let fall, the sound of plastic slapping porcelain will set my whole skull ringing.