Friday, August 04, 2017

Little more on test loads

For some general practice loads, tried some 300-grain cast bullets over both Unique and Green Dot; five each with 10.0, five with 11.0.

Results: nothing to get excited about.  In fact the Unique loads acted really strange, same as last time I tried some.  With ten grains,
I got the four in the black, and the one directly below the black.  What makes it weird is that each shot hit a little below the one before, which I have no explanation for.  Since each charge was weighed, either my scale did something odd or Unique is screwing with me.

That hole marked '11'?  Well, it's part of the 11.0 grain group
Which also spread vertically.  That hole on the other target hit about 7" above the aiming bullseye.  Only thing I can think of is that maybe in that large case the Unique is being position sensitive; so I'll load some more, this time with a pasteboard wad to keep the powder down near the base for more consistent ignition and see if that changes anything.

The Green Dot loads were 10.0,

and 11.0
so they both spread pretty badly.  I think I'll try a few more of these also with a wad and see if it makes a difference.











No comments: