Sunday, January 31, 2016

I have not been entirely out of gunny stuff the past while

It's just been difficult: having a right arm you can't do too much with means it's difficult- at best- to work a loading press, among other things.  Lessons learned:
I had enough ammo for general left-handed practice during this time.  If I hadn't, it'd have been .22 only for handgun(there was very little rifle practice).

I should've bought a good left-handed holster before the surgery.  The one I've been using works, but something more solid would've been better.  There is a money factor there, good holsters ain't cheap.

For the first while, when I could hit the range again, it was easier to practice with a revolver; reloading it is every six rounds, but trying to reload a magazine at the time... nope.  Should probably have invited daughter to dinner, and "While you're here, could I get you to stuff ammo into all these magazines?"

That modern ammo allows you to shoot without having to scrub the firearm out every time, is a wonderful thing.

Working back up to carrying, drawing and firing right-handed is going to take some time; the PT has helped a lot, but this is a different set of movements than the standard they use, and you can feel every bit of it.

If I'm careful I can use the press a bit now; not for long at a time, and only the single-stage; the progressive requires more muscle, and that's not happening yet.

Last time at the range I used a .22 rifle right-handed for some offhand practice; to say I've slipped in skill is an understatement.  Dry-firing practice is called for, which'll help get the shoulder back into shape as well(back to the bit about drawing above).

And now I'm going to get some more of the built-up yard stuff done before the weather turns cold again.

3 comments:

John in Philly said...

My right side shoulder was done about fifteen years ago and was not done arthroscopic. The left side was done about three years ago and was arthroscopic. The left side recovered very well, the right side not so much. I learned to compensate for the right side, and I suspect that if the right side was to be repaired today, the results would be much better. And I also suspect that both sides would be better if I had followed through better after PT.

I am right handed, and it took a lot of effort to get back most of my one handed shooting skills.

There will be positive progress, but sometimes it seems you have to use a micrometer to measure the progress.

I hope Asimov's Laws do not keep our future robot assistants from loading our magazines.

Take care.

Old 1811 said...

Regarding your holster problem:
Try what I did after I broke my right hand a few years ago.
If you have a straight-drop (no cant) right-handed OWB holster, wear it on your left hip or just behind it. Carry the gun butt-forward and cavalry-draw the pistol. MAKE SURE THE MUZZLE STAYS POINTED AT THE GROUND while you rotate the gun. (Think of the barrel as the axis of rotation.) Then bring it up as you would with your right hand.
Practice this with an empty pistol until you become confident that you're doing it right.

Firehand said...

John, my Dad had the pre-arthro surgery on his right, scar like a zipper up over his shoulder. Just watching him do PT during recovery was enough to make me cringe at times(it takes a lot to make him show pain).

1811, every holster I've got has a forward cant, so couldn't do that. Would've been handy.