Friday, December 04, 2015

One of the problems with this shoulder mess

is that you need to move things around to help keep the joint from stiffening up, but you've got to be pretty careful about not doing too much, and/or too soon.  I've also been, bluntly, kind of terrified of doing something(a slip, a fall, something being grabbed by reflex) that might injure the joint again and cause me to have to start this all over from scratch.

So, yesterday, when something slid under my foot and I fell, the only thing that went through my mind was "PROTECT IT!"  While screaming something unprintable as I went down.  Happily, I did manage to tuck it out of the way and took the impact on the left arm, and all seems ok. 

However, this just reinforces the 'protect it at almost all costs' mindset.  Which makes it even harder to get anything done other than sit here, or read.  I've got a bunch of branches in the back yard I need to drag around for pickup, but that means left-hand only, and with the yard still wet and a bit slick in spots, being very damned careful while I do it.

'Course, it could be worse; this could be before this surgery was possible, and I'd have to live with my shoulder and arm becoming less and less useful.

No comments: