Carry piece restoration
My first carry piece- hell, my first
semi-auto- is a Kimber Compact Aluminum(yes, that's the actual model
name). I've had it nearly twenty years, and no idea how many rounds
through. It's been refinished twice, had a number of new recoil
springs, and new sights and grips, otherwise it's as it came. I can't complain about it: except
when I screwed with something or ammo problems*, it's always worked.
Back then Kimber had a good reputation for quality; the customer service
I can't speak to because I never had to use it.
The problem is
the aluminum frame; the rails have worn badly enough that it will rattle- badly-
if you shake it. Still reliably goes bang, and out to about 15 yards
will group nicely, but it's only going to get worse. Talked to several
people, and the consensus was "You're not going to fix that frame; get a
Which led to lots of searching and swearing; for quite
a while the last couple of years trying to find an Officer's Model
frame(most others, too) was an exercise in futility. 'Unavailable' or 'back order',
mostly the first. Finally got word that Brownell's might be getting
some in, so put in a back-order for a Caspian stainless frame. And
today it came in.
Pistol (partly) as-is.
Original frame and the new.
The recoil spring and guide rod is on the table, extractor still in the slide, the grip screw bushings still in the frame, otherwise stripped.
So I've got a new frame, parts from the old I'm going to use and some new parts, listing to come. The only tool I don't have that's a 'got to have' is one to stake the plunger tube into the frame, but a friend thinks knows of one I can borrow; if that doesn't work, make or buy one.
Assuming I can remember, I'll take pictures as I go.
*Had put in a extra-power recoil spring, and the practice loads wouldn't reliably work in it; oddly, it would double-feed. Put a standard spring in and it worked perfectly with them, and the extra-power worked perfectly with carry loads.
The other was when I put a recoil buffer in. Thing squished just enough to drag on the barrel a bit and cause problems; trimmed it, no more problem. Finally just got rid of it.