Friday, November 15, 2013

It being a nice day, range day

Took the 1922 out where could give it a try at longer range with a solid rest and better light.

Tried it with several different brands of ammo; shot at least decently with all, very well with a couple.  The best result was had with Lapua Master M.  Which I normally wouldn't have, but a guy at the fun show had it for about the same per box most of the clowns were asking for Federal Champion or Aguila subsonic(or anything else), so I picked some up.

After checking sights at 50, tried some different brands, and when I really concentrated this is what the Lapua would do:
 which made me very happy.  After shooting some other stuff was able to move to the 100-yard line, and after some fiddling and adjusting the same ammo gave this:
By my measure that's right at 2.3", and I'm calling the three high/left my fault for two reasons:
The front sight insert is a post with a bead on top, which made it more difficult to precisely line things up(I much prefer a flat-top post), and
The sun had reached an angle that was causing a lot of glare. 
Add those to getting generally a bit worn(the shoulder is still causing problems), and I think I slipped on those.  Still, less than 2.5 on a somewhat gusty day I'm not going to bitch about.

Yeah, I'm very happy I said "It's a deal."

One oddity: one of the ammo I tried was the Aguila Super Sniper Subsonic, and at 50 it gave two distinct groups, one a little above and right of the other.  Possibly my fault, will have to try it again.  At least they were all nice round holes, not oblongs, and the two groups were tight.

No comments: