Monday, July 11, 2011

A picture from a long time ago

Friend of mine knew a gunsmith, who had a select-fire subgun he'd let you shoot if you provided the ammo and he got the brass. So one day we headed out with a box of .45acp each and gave it a try
First time I'd ever fired an automatic. I found that with a silhouette at about twenty feet I could put the first round center, the second upper-left chest and the third consistently went just over the shoulder. And I was wishing for either a can or a barrel extension up front, as that muzzle felt just a bit close to my fingers. It isn't, really, but it felt that way. And I learned the true meaning of 'turning money into noise'.

I'll throw in a story: son got a chance to hit a Special Forces range a couple of times and play with their toys, including a H&K machine pistol. Before firing was warned that they had a number of guys missing the tip of their left index finger, because if you were firing one of these
in the earlier version of this did not have that extra finger protector up front and you let your finger straighten, then sometimes...

No comments: