Thursday, July 21, 2011

After-Action Report from Dealer Days

at H&H.
Went this morning; lots of dealer reps with lots of stuff. And you can try them out; buy a ticket for $4(or 3 for $10), give the rep the ticket and sign the list and you get the firearm, a target and five rounds to take out on the range. Here's what I tried:
SiG 1911-22
Same size as a full-size 1911A1, not quite the weight. Very good trigger, shot very nicely. The sights had neon lime-green dots that showed up quite well.


Uberti Schofield:
The one at the shop is nickel-plated, and in .38 Special. With that weight, .38 ball ammo had very little felt recoil, shot nicely. The grip shape is such that I had to roll it back in my hand for my thumb to reach the hammer, or- with a two-hand grip- use the left thumb to cock.


Kimber Solo:
This is a single-stack 9mm, very short, slim and light. Uncertain about it due to the trigger; it's considered single-action and has a thumb safety, but the trigger is a cross between a true single-action and a double, not much weight but a fair amount of travel. And I could not tell when it would break. Probably something you could get used to with some practice, but if you're going to have a thumb safety, why not a proper single-action break? 'Course, that's my opinion, you may well like it.

STI Shadow
True single-action semi-auto, sub-compact 1911 size, the one I fired was 9mm. Aluminum frame, a little thicker than the Solo and a few ounces heavier. I liked it. Very clean trigger, fit the hand well. If I had that much disposable cash, I'd get one. If it had the bobtail on the frame it'd be even better for a CC pistol, but still very nice.

Lots of other stuff on display, shotguns, rifles and pistols from a bunch of companies. One other thing I'll pass on, saw a guy coming off the range with one of the Taurus mare's leg- pistol? rifle?- things,

and asked what he thought; the one he'd fired was .44 Magnum, and his comment was "Try it out and you'll probably save yourself $500."

No comments: