Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's not a long trip, but it's the first Updated

I've taken on this bike, and I found out a few things.
Speed-wise, at 75 this bike(VFR800) is turning a grand total of 5000rpm, and feels like it's just loafing along. Considering it doesn't redline till almost 12k, I guess it is.
I've been getting around 40mpg, in town and some highway; on the trip down I got just over 48; steady highway speeds make a difference(I'll add the mileage for the trip back when I tank up)(update: trip home, 56mpg; a horrendous crosswind/sort-of-quartering-in-places wind instead of a headwind made a helluva difference).
That Throttle Rocker works. Bad thing: you can't take your hand completely off the throttle to rest it. Good thing: you can just add or reduce pressure with your wrist to adjust speed. For longer trips(say 200 miles or more) I think I'd like a throttle lock, but this does work quite well.
This was a 'wind sweeping down the plain' day; I can't remember ever spending that much time in a constant lean before. Not in one day.
The weather weenies called this: right about the time I passed out of the 'high wind warning' area, it really did ease off.
I'll add a bit later; right now I think the bike has cooled off, so I'm going to wash the bugs off it.

No comments: