Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Think I'll pass on the Land Rover...

everything leaked, things broke easily, it often had electrical fires, the steering was as useful in guiding the thing down the road as divining, and the noise the straight gears made obviated the need for any kind of radio. I have had more pleseant driving experiences bungee corded to the top of a bus in the rain.
...
...The momentary pleasure you’ll have in pride of ownership will be eclipsed the first time it strands you along the road, which will be on the way home from the dealership.

I like working on things, but when it comes to my transportation, unless I have something specifically to screw around with, I want the damn thing to work. All the time. Regular maintenance is one thing, having to carry a full set of tools and a shop manual so as to make sure you get where you're going, well, that just flat sucks.

1 comment:

Keith said...

I can add plenty more bitchings on the Rover fourwheel drives, chasis that rust through and snap in half, gear boxes that break every 15 to 20K miles...

I checked the comments at the link;

FIAT a French company! - better not say that infront of any of the Italians I know - reference to wolverines and testicles }8^0