Monday, December 07, 2009

Tam writes about holsters

and finding that she really shouldn't have gotten rid of one. Which made me run through a quick mental inventory...

Let's see, a thumb-break shoulder rig for a 2" .38, one for my Officer's Model .45, the belt slide Dad made me years ago, another one I made, a Kydex paddle, and the Sparks IWB I bought about a year or so ago. And a nylon "It even holds a spare clip!" one that came with the pistol. Yeah, I think that's it...

I bought the IWB because A: I wanted to try that style and B: it was inexpensive(can't really say 'cheap'). I found that I like it better than the slides(it stays in place much better), and it's better at concealing than the Kydex paddle. The 'inexpensive' caught up because the mouth wasn't reinforced with anything more than a stitched-on strip of leather and didn't stay open as well as needed, so I finally cut the stitching and took it off, cut and shaped a piece of saw blade to fit, then stitched the strip back over; it made a world of difference. And, with a couple of exceptions, it's what I've worn ever since. When I next used the slide it felt exposed, and didn't stay in place; tended to slide back & forth a bit(that's not supposed to be why they call it that). The paddle stays right in place, but being outside the pants it just doesn't feel as hidden. My pants fit better, but I'll trade somewhat snug pants for better concealment and no movement(if I have to reach for it, I want it to be RIGHT THERE).

Right now I'd love one with a stiffer body, but this here retirement thing kind of prevents any "Let's look at Midway!" extravagance, especially this time of year. I need to find out either a way to stiffen leather better than what I know now, or find some leather that, after molding, stays stiff. I've got some spring clips, and I've made holsters before, so that's not a problem.

By the way, anyone else notice the variance in waistbands? I've got three pair of Wrangler jeans, all the same size, and the waist on each is a bit different in size: one holds the 1911 just fine, one's snug and the other's just too damn tight.

Maybe I should sue?

2 comments:

Chad said...

I've noticed that about the pants sizes. I have an IWB in kydex for my LCR, and I think I have to mark what pants I can wear it with.
And although my paddle holster for my SP2022 is very, very nice, it doesn't conceal under anything less than a parka.

NotClauswitz said...

My waistband varies depending on the wash cycle. Hot is shrink-to-fit.