Sunday, September 27, 2009

Well, damn

Amazing what happens when a tool is made right.

Evening before last I worked with the lathe a bit, then did some comparing to the book and found I had the side rake angle(think of one of the bevels leading to a knife edge) wrong. So I reground it- yes, again- and this time got it right. Last night, before I collapsed, I gave it a try; BIG difference. Faster, cleaner cutting and could do deeper cuts with no chatter.

I found a set of mini-lathe tool holders at Grizzly and ordered them(which also includes more bits which at this rate I'll need), so hopefully will get here in a few days. Right now I'm clamping the bit in the post that should hold the tool holder, which is not exactly the ideal setup; enough for trying some small stuff, not stable enough for bigger. Happily, most of these things don't cost much, and as it is it'll take a while to get all the stuff. Next after this, maybe sometime next month, is a tailstock spindle I can put a drill chuck on, which will make drilling pieces in the exact center much easier and more consistent.

No comments: