Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Range Day

Nothing big; general pistol practice and a box or so through a .22 rifle.

The lane I wound up in was kind of dim: bad for precise shooting, good for self-defense practice. I've noticed that in light that low the fiber-optic sights don't make much difference, but they do catch the eye a bit better than plain iron sights, and I'll take any advantage I can get. I shoot about half the close-up stuff with the Crimson Trace grip turned on, and the other half with it off; as Tam pointed out once, a number of things could cause the laser to be useless(heavy gloves, crap on the diode, breakage, etc.) so I still practice with the irons only.

I can't remember the brand off hand, but someone brought out a red-dot optic a couple of years ago small enough to mount in the rear sight dovetail on a pistol and not get in the way of holster carry; anyone tried one? Sounds like a great idea.

I should have taken the .22 conversion for the 1911. Days like this my hands will only take a box or so of full-power .45, so I could have done a bit more with it on. I need to remember to stick it in the range bag and leave it.

I ran the brass through the tumbler, but I'll mess with processing it tomorrow or the next day. For now, I'm tired.

2 comments:

Keith said...

Do you point shoot?

Firehand said...

Some, yeah. Not terribly good at it, but I think it's a skill that's good to have.