Sunday, April 26, 2009

My only question for the Italians is: Why no rifles (updated)

or shotguns?
Separately Sunday, the captain of an Italian cruise ship said his security staff fought off a pirate attack in the region Saturday with pistols and a water hose.

Commander Ciro Pinto told Italian media the ensuing gunfight damaged the ship, but the 1,500 passengers were unhurt.
First off, good for the captain and crew: wish I could offer some of you a beer. Or some wine. What goes best after a hearty session of 'Repel Boarders'?

Second, a lot of cruise ships have skeet shooting available, so just add a case each of buckshot and slugs, just in case...

Third, I repeat what I once wrote: add some rifles to the ships armory, and have a lottery: "Attention all passengers: as pirates appear to be approaching, we can offer a unique opportunity for those interested. All who wish a chance at shooting pirates go to the main deck to enter the drawing for shooting positions."

Update: seems it was an Israeli security group that did the shooting. "Why no rifles?" still stands; now I want to know what pistols? I mean, something standard like 9mm, or something exotic like Desert Eagles?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much for the argument that arming the crews would just "escalate the violence" and put more lives in danger...although I don't expect to see any of the statist authoritarians admitting it.

Mattexian said...

What goes best after a hearty session of 'Repel Boarders'?I'm thinking rum!